Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Girls' Getaway 2012, In Retrospect

     On our yearly girls' getaway to the Smoky Mountains there is never a dull moment and this year was no exception.    Last Thursday morning, eight of us set out full of excitement and anticipation.  Several stops and a few hours later, we arrived in Pigeon Forge, starving.  Naturally, our first stop was a restaurant to eat dinner.  A friend of Libby's had told her about a place called Calhoun's and none of us had eaten there before.   It was wonderful!  We liked the restaurant so well we actually went back on Saturday night.
 

  On Friday, we spent the day shopping in Gatlinburg, following a huge breakfast at one of the many pancake houses.    We literally shopped till we dropped.  That evening we ate at Bubba Gumps Seafood where our waiter looked exactly like a young John Travolta.



     Each night we would get comfortable at the cabin and laugh till we couldn't hold our eyes open.   Nothing like a big comfy couch, hot, buttery popcorn and some good, juicy girl-talk!

     
     On Saturday, we went to Pigeon Forge.  Down by the Old Mill they were having a Heritage Festival with lots of booths, crafts, food and entertainment.  Lunch outside at the Old Mill Pottery House Cafe was perfect.  Brenda's brother and sister-in-law met us there and had lunch with us.
    



     Of course, you know no trip with this bunch could ever be event free.  Every year something out of the ordinary has to happen to give us that one unforgettable memory.   This year, it was Saturday night.

     During dinner at Calhoun's, Brenda told us about this place her brother had been and thought we would enjoy.  It was in Gatlinburg and was a place where they made moonshine, had wine tastings and live music.  It had been a long day of shopping and Libby, Pat and I really didn't want to go watch moonshine being made.  We were ready to go back to the cabin.  So....here was the plan.

     The 3 of us would take Brenda's car.  We were going to check out some cabins we had heard about right out of Pigeon Forge, and then we were going back to the cabin.  All the rest were going in Linda's suv to the moonshine place in Gatlinburg.    We get in the car and thinking we had plenty of time, I decide to drive out Wears Valley Road to see if I can find a gift shop that I had been to years before that had cabins out behind it.  We didn't find it so finally turned around and started back toward the parkway.  About that time my phone rings.  It's Brenda wanting to know where we are, did we find the cabins.  Now this should have been the first red flag, but, since I had no reason to think they were anywhere other than on their way to Gatlinburg, I explained where we were, not thinking another thing about it.  On the way back up the parkway, we pulled through Krispy Creme Doughnuts to pick up some to take back to the cabin.  We were leisurely enjoying our quiet time, never once thinking anything was up.  By now our friends should be reaching Gatlinburg and looking for the moonshine place. 

     Not far past Krispy Creme was the road where we turned to look for the cabins Libby's friend had told her about.   I remembered the directions, which were in my purse, had said 1/2 mile out this road and then turn left.  Thinking a 1/2 mile was not very far I figured it would probably be the first road to the left; therefore, when we came to the first road I turned, immediately realizing it was not the right road.  I backed up to turn around and then sat there while I dug out the directions.  Back out on the first road, we continued on, looking for the right road.  Unfortunately, when we got to it, we missed it because the road sign was hidden down in a ditch and the one on the other side had a completely different name.    Of course, as soon as we passed it we saw the sign.  There was no place to turn around so we had to drive a little further and around a curve.  Finally, turned around we headed back to the right road.   We knew before we got there that this was a gated community and we wouldn't be able to drive up to the cabins, but we figured we would at least be able to see where they were and what they looked like.   Pulling up to the large gate, we were looking at the cabins that were scattered up the mountainside.  Suddenly, this huge black suv pulls up behind us and started blowing the horn.   Now remember, our friends, whom we had no reason to doubt, were in Gatlinburg.  This must be someone wanting in the gate and he wants me out of his way.  But I have no place to go!  The gate is in front of me and he is behind me.  The longer I sat there the madder I got.  That idiot!  Where does he expect me to go!  I can't move if he doesn't!  What a jerk!  Pat was about ready to get out of the car!   Finally, he backs up and leaves.  We do the same, getting out of there as fast as I could go.

     We get back to our cabin, and low and behold, our friends are already there.  I thought that seemed strange but knew there must be a reason.  Sure enough, when we got inside, Paula was lying down, not feeling well.   They said that was why they came home early.  Trusting souls that we were, we still didn't think anything was going on.   We all settle in and start planning for next year.  The first thing they wanted to know was did we find the cabins.  Of course, we told them all about the idiot jerk who pulled up behind us and wouldn't move.  That's when something began to sound fishy.  I looked at Linda and she looked like the cat who just ate the canary.    Suddenly, it all made sense.  The phone call, the black suv, them getting home first.    "It was YOU!  You were the idiots who pulled up behind us!"  I said to Linda.  At first they denied it, but when Libby told Brenda to look her in the eye and tell her it wasn't them, she couldn't without busting out laughing.   So here is their version of what happened.


     After leaving the restaurant, they decided they didn't really want to go to the moonshine place.  Stopping to get gas, they decided to try to find the cabins and be there waiting when we got there, but didn't really know how to find them.     Not knowing we were going to drive out Wears Valley Road first, they couldn't figure out what was taking us so long; that's when they called.  Finally, they saw us pass and decided to follow us, without letting us know they were.  They didn't see me make the first wrong turn until they passed and Linda saw us sitting there.  Not knowing what to do, they pulled off in a driveway that dropped under a hill and sat there waiting for us to pass.  Once we did, they waited sufficient time for us to get down the road and pulled out to follow.    By this time they are thinking we saw them following us and pulled off on that first road to hide from them.  So when they hid from us in the driveway, they are all cracking up laughing so hard.  They start back down the road and who do you think they pass coming the other direction?  We had turned around and were now headed back to the road where we were supposed to have turned.  They just knew they were caught now, we had to have seen them, or so they think.  But, being the trusting souls that we are, we still think they are in Gatlinburg, and let's face it, there are only about a million black suvs on the road.  Pulling up behind us, they are all rolling in the floor from laughing so hard at our game of cat and mouse.  Linda thinks when she blows the horn we will all get out of the car and come back there.     Now, why she didn't just pull up beside us so we could see it was them I'll never know.   And I wasn't about to get out of the car and walk up to strangers in a vehicle.  For all I knew they might have a gun and be in a bad mood.   Anyway, flying back to the cabin, they decided to wait to see if we knew it was them before they said anything.   Barely making it back ahead of us, they hurriedly staged this whole scene to make it look like they had been there awhile.

     Needless to say, when the whole story came out, we all laughed so hard we nearly got sick.  We all ended up hoarse from laughing so much.   It was probably the funniest thing that has ever happened to us on one of our trips, although, I know it loses something in translation.  It is just one of those stories that can never be told with the same comedic punch as when it happened.    Looking back, I guess, you just had to be there.

Until next time...that's my view.
Kat

















    

20 comments:

  1. OMG...it may have lost something in the telling for sure, but I could just see all of you through out the entire escapade. Great job of taking us along for the joke!
    What a fun thing to do annually. You guys just rock the whole friend thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We really do have a great time.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great time! It's been years since I have been in the Smoky Mountains, so I envy you in a fun way.

    Cool gag by your friends. lol Had it been me, I'd have been a little more devious, though. Maybe a firecracker, etc.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really did have a great time, Jeremy. I love the Smokies. It is so beautiful. You should go if you get a chance. As for the firecracker, if they had thrown one I probably would have gunned the gas peddle in reverse and pushed them out of the way to get out of there! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Tricking people is so much fun. Back in California I had friends who tricked me. Sometimes I was able to return the favor. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really can be fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. That is funny!! It sounds like you had an amazing time. :D

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was hilarious. They thought we knew it was them and that we were playing cat and mouse and we didn't have a clue! I have a great bunch of friends!

      Delete
  5. You guys really had a good time. It is always nice to be with friends.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we really did, Paps. We always have a great time.

      Delete
  6. I love that you have such a great group of women friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beth. If I could wish one thing for every woman it would be that they have a great group of friends!

      Delete
  7. so funny. awesome to have such a close knit group of friends....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is awesome Daphne. And it seems like something funny always happens.

      Delete
  8. I love reading your stories, Karen! This one was hilarious...only on a girl trip can we laugh until we cry!!
    Thanks for sharing! I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanne. I love your stories too. That is true, only with our girlfriends can we really let loose.

      Delete
  9. You my dear friend, it sounds like you had a great time. I love your get togethers. I love it when you share. I read back a bit and am, I think, caught up.
    You are an amazing writer and I love reading your stories. Thank you for sharing.
    Take care Karen and have an awesome weekend.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. It is always nice to hear from you. I have got to visit your blog and get caught up with you. I have gotten really behind on everyone lately. Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  10. Although I live in Tennessee, I haven't been to Gatlinburg in ages. What a fun trip with a fun group. They sure pulled a good one.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I think the Smokies are one of the prettiest areas in this part of the country. Yes, they really did pull a good one. We will be talking about it for a long time to come.

      Delete

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.