Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Never Too Old to Learn

     Education...the dictionary defines it as the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.

     When most people think of education, they think of formal education, starting with pre-school or kindergarten, and ending anywhere from high school to doctorate degrees.  Formal education is definitely a large portion of our lives and may determine our career path.   As important as formal education is, to me, it is not the education that makes us who we are; that form of education starts on the day you are born.

     Education is an automatic result of living life.  Even the tiniest baby learns quickly how to get their parents attention; how to get fed when they are hungry; and who they can trust.  And they don't stop there.  Everyday, much to the delight of the parents, they learn something new.  That learning doesn't stop when they are no longer babies, nor when they start their formal education.

     Every day of our lives is a learning opportunity, and, I would be so bold as to say that every day you learn something new; often without even realizing it.   Learning something new doesn't have to be earth-shattering.  It may be as simple as learning a new shortcut to use when texting or as complicated as learning a new hobby or craft.  My point is, life is an education.  It doesn't stop when we graduate.  

     Education has no boundaries nor age limits...we are never too old to learn.  Life is about being open to new things and opening our eyes to what is around us.   Education is a life-long process.

Written for Week 61 GBE 2 prompt - Education

Until next time...that's my view.
Kat
 

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more Kat. And that is the eduation that shapes and defines us the most I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Somehow I just knew you would agree!

      Delete
  3. You're never too old to learn until you hit the teen years. Then a few years after that, you discover that you didn't know everything after all.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, Joyce, truer words were never spoken!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely true. :-) That's why we say "If I could go back in time knowing everything I do now...".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I want to go back in time, even if I knew what I know now!

      Delete
  5. Nice Kat! Lord knows, I'm learning things all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Linda. I hope I never quit learning!

      Delete

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.