Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Dust Bunnies Can Be Warm Fuzzies

    

     Home is where the heart is;  A man's home is his castle;  There's no place like home...you've heard them all.  I love my home.  It's nothing fancy, just a small farm house where Kenneth and I live comfortably.  It's the one place in the world that I can really let my hair down, be me, with no false pretense and no one I have to impress.  It's my refuge from the world and from the storm.

     Once upon a time, when I was young and innocent, I fell victim to the brainwashing of a society that measured the worth of a woman by how clean she kept her house.   I believed that everything had to be spotless - everything had to be polished, dusted, swept, mopped or whatever else I could do to make it sparkle and shine.  

     Then, one day, it happened.  I began to have these forbidden thoughts.   What would happen if I didn't get the carpet swept one week?   Or, heaven forbid, I didn't get the furniture dusted?   What was the worst that could happen...would I be kicked out of housewives of America, or be banned from reading Good Housekeeping?    Oh, no!!!

    Gradually, over the years, I have managed to reprogram my thinking, and also my cleaning habits.  A lot of the change was out of necessity because of health problems, but much of it I contribute to coming to my senses.  I no longer feel the need to keep everything spotless.  After all, a home should look lived in.  It should be a place of comfort and relaxation.  I think of it as my free space; free from pressures and judgements; free to be a little messy if I want.

     The reality is, the world doesn't end if your house isn't as clean as it could be.  Truth is, when you are laid up following back surgery or a broken ankle, dust bunnies can become like pets.  When we are lonely, or a little down, we all like warm fuzzies that make us feel better.  Some of my warm fuzzies include a warm throw, a good book, fluffy socks, and my dust bunnies.     They are my assurance that some things in this world are just more important than a spotless house.

Until next time...that's my view.

Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment

You've read my thoughts, now, please leave me yours. Thank you.